Imagine being on a boat surrounded by nothing but sunshine sparkling off blue waters and sapphire skies, hearing the zing of the reel as your catch takes off and then the fight is on! Experience this on an offshore charter with Captain Adam on the waters of the Gulf of Mexico!
We’ll head out 20-45 miles offshore depending on weather conditions and if you’re looking to catch a specific fish. Captain Adam wants to ensure you get what you’re going after, so if there’s a species you want to catch, contact him to see if it’s in season and how far out to go for it. Below are some examples of popular fish and the best months to catch them in the Gulf waters off Pinellas County:
- Grouper: Season and limits change; currently open for red grouper, July 1st for gag grouper
- Kingfish (King Mackerel): smaller size (3-8 lbs) running in schools during spring months (March – May) with an occasional big guy hookup; some occasional larger individuals running during summer months; larger (8-15 lbs) in fall months (Oct – Dec)
- Amberjack: Season is year-round except June & July; size range from 8-45 lbs. *Only caught on 25-45 miles full day charter
- Blackfin Tuna: Best chance of catching is end of April through June; size range from 20-40 lbs. *Only caught on 25-45 miles full day charter
- Shark: Season is year-round; all varieties and sizes
- Snapper: year-round; larger species further offshore and more prolific spring–fall in warmer waters
- Sportfish, Sailfish: They are rare within 25-45 miles off Tampa Bay, as our waters are typically too shallow and they tend to stick to the Gulfstream in the Atlantic. However, they are occasionally out there, and we have seen them. Please contact Captain Adam if you are strongly interested in targeting sportfish.
Offshore fishing can yield a large variety of fish, depending on the method: bottom-fishing or trolling. We have a lot of fun anchoring up and just seeing what everyone starts reeling in! Fish we commonly catch include snapper (wide variety of species), grunts, flounder, triggerfish, porgies, amberjack, grouper, kingfish, Spanish mackerel, tuna, shark, hogfish and more!
For summer months – July through September – due to Florida’s rainy season and storm patterns, offshore fishing can be unpredictable. For your safety, during this time of year, scheduling needs to as flexible as possible for possible rescheduling and know that you may not have the opportunity to go as far offshore for specific fish as is available other times of the year.
WHAT’S PROVIDED (Read more on our FAQ page)
We provide all rods, reels, tackle and bait. You are welcome to bring your own, but it is not necessary. All safety equipment is on board, such as U.S. Coast Guard approved life vests. We encourage you apply sunscreen and take motion sickness pills before boarding in the morning, and bring it with you as well. We have a camera on board, but we strongly encourage you to document your memories (and we’d love to be emailed your photos, have you post them to our Facebook page or tag them on Instagram @playinhookycharterslf !) The boat is equipped with a CD and mp3 player, so if you bring your favorite tunes, we’ll be happy to play them for you! Water is available, you may bring alcohol or soda as well. We ask you pack your food … bring your lunch and we’ll catch your dinner!
Offshore Full Day Charter (10-12 hours depending on daylight and weather).
20+ miles offshore full day only: $750
30-45 miles offshore full day only: $850
For more than 45 miles offshore, including the middle grounds, please contact the captain for pricing.
Options to select :
Shell key island $0
5th & 6th child (under 16) $0
Snorkeling Egmont preserve $50
5th & 6th adult (16+) full day $50 per person
Read about our cancellation policy on our FAQ page.
*Please note: We know it can be disappointing to catch but not keep a fish when it’s not in season or it’s just shy of the legal size limit, but we must adhere to the Florida State fishing laws. HERE is a link for current finishing regulation for the Gulf of Mexico. Thank you for understanding!
** Some exceptions apply to younger children. If you have children under the age of 9 please contact the captain for passenger limitations.
***All charters can add Shell key island at no additional cost as long as it’s within the time allotted.
****All Prices are subject to change based on current fuel prices.